The purpose of this track is to help the person responsible for student data entry in either the Online Data Tool or a local Student Information System develop KIDS data element fluency. You will learn how your data is used by the State and Federal governments, and how it impacts your school and district. The focus of this track is on encouraging you to create a culture of quality data through accurate data entry and auditing processes. You will work with experienced KIDS trainers and other school employees who also enter student data. This track, which includes a practical approach to learning more about the KIDS data elements and reports, includes content on the KIDS vocabulary, the purposes of all of the KIDS Collections, and the data reporting and data maintenance best practices of KIDS.
This track is designed for staff members who assist in entering KIDS data into the Online Data Tool (ODT) or a local Student Information System (SIS). This person assists in collecting student-level data from parents and entering the data into the local SIS (or ODT); however, this person does not submit batch files to the KIDS Collection System. Administrative assistants, office managers, SIS administrators, or other school support employees who are responsible for entering and maintaining demographic and student data in the SIS are ideal candidates for this track.
Sample Certification Exercises
- Review KIDS vocabulary terms
- Use KIDS help resources
- Develop specific strategies for improving data accuracy at the school and district level
- Understand the purposes of all of the KIDS Collections
- Increase awareness of the importance of data accuracy
- Utilize the tools (reports) available in KIDS to audit data
- Increase understanding of the KIDS data elements
Certification Window: All requirements must be completed four months after starting the program.
- Learn about different types of data entry errors, their effect on your student data, and identify the appropriate correction strategies
- Create a personalized data checklist tool to increase data quality when entering data into your local student information system
- Complete a scavenger hunt to better understand all of the KIDS data elements contained in the File Specifications document